How can I get the screenshots only under the command-line?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 29 09:53:48 PDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:32:16 -0700, Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:
> Hi--
>
> On Oct 28, 2008, at 9:16 AM, zhenghua wang wrote:
> > I wanna get some screenshots of my command-line-only system(8-
> > current),how
> > can I perform this?
> > Thanks a lot,looking forward to your mail.
>
> See "man vidcontrol", as in:
>
>       The following command will capture the contents of the first
> virtual ter-
>       minal, and redirect the output to the shot.scr file:
>
>             vidcontrol -p < /dev/ttyv0 > shot.scr

Another option would be to utilize the mouse edit buffer to
capture screen content in "ASCII only", it requires a standard
three button mouse and moused running correctly. Then you can
select parts of the screen content or the whole screen using
the left mouse button, then use Alt+PF2 (for example) to
switch to another VT, login, start an editor (ee screen.txt)
and then press the middle mouse button - the selected text
will be put 1:1 into the file.

Unelegang manual work, but sometimes useful (e. g. if you
need screenshots for documentation purposes where a simple
ASCII reproduction without colors or other attributes is
needed).

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany