gmirror slice insertion, "FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY, DSC, ERROR>"

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 29 03:04:40 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 02:00:21AM -0700, Carl wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> Seagate chooses to encode some raw data for some SMART attributes in a
>> custom format.  The format is not publicly documented.  This is why you
>> have to go off of the adjusted values shown in VALUE/WORST/THRESH.
>> "How am I supposed to know all of this?!"  You aren't -- it comes with
>> experience.
>
> And yet my failing drive's VALUE numbers are still all above their
> THRESH values, despite it being bad enough to cripple the system. One
> might argue those threshold values leave something to be desired.

I'd urge you to file complaint(s) with drive manufacturers, as they're
the ones who decide the values.  Thresholds are not defined per the
ATA-ATAPI specification, so technically they can pick whatever value
they want.  This is exactly why you'll encounter people screaming "SMART
is worthless, the drive is already dead by the time the overall SMART
health check fails!"

If you go this route, please CC me, as I'd be quite to see what
manufacturers have to say.