almost OT os x

Mikel King mikel.king at olivent.com
Tue Oct 28 10:13:31 PDT 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 11:06 PM, kalin m wrote:

> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:19:56PM -0400, kalin m wrote:
>>
>>> this is a bit OT but since bsd and os x have enough in common in
>>> the  core some people here might have dealt with an os x server
>>> before..
>>>
>>> ok. here is the problem. i have this os x server put on my lap to
>>> administer and there are some really weired things happening.
>>>
>>> the machine has 2 inet interfaces - 2 cards. one of them - en0
>>> (network  A) - is wired to 192.168.x.x and the other - en1
>>> (network B) - has an  external ip which is not on the same subnet
>>> (network)  the 192.168.x.x  belongs to. so far so good.
>>>
>>> theoretically the en1 (network B) card should be accessible
>>> through the  external ip no matter where you a coming from....
>>>
>>> what happens is that if somebody on network A (of en0)  tries to
>>> access  the machine via 192.168.x.x - it works. but if that
>>> somebody wants  access that machine via the external ip on network
>>> B (en1), like they  would access any other external IP -  they can
>>> not. this is weired  because they can access any other machine on
>>> B . now me being on the  network B i can access the machine via
>>> the external IP which is also on  B, but, and this is the
>>> weirdest, i can not access it from outside  either A or B with
>>> that same IP (?!?).  but i can access any other  machine on B from
>>> outside either subnet....
>>
>> What you're describing sounds like a network loopback problem (at
>> least
>> this is what the Linux folks refer to it as).
>>
>> I would recommend you re-post this question to freebsd-net, as
>> someone
>> there can explain to you what's happening in detail, why it
>> happens, and
>> how to solve it effectively.
>>
> ok. will try there. thanks....
>
>> Also, keep in mind that the "FreeBSD and OS X have enough in common"
>> concept is a horrible one -- they do have some pieces in common, but
>> OS X really *is* quite a different beast in numerous respects.
>> Apple,
>> sincerely and honestly, has tinkered with all sorts of pieces.
>> Please
>> keep that in mind.  :-)
>>

> ok too.  i kinda used that as an excuse to post here cause nobody
> over there - on some os x lists and forums - was trying to help. and
> having found a lot of solutions on this list as a long time freebsd
> user i though i'd give it a shot....
>
> thanks....

Kalin,

	Did you add a specific route for the alternative network? I know this
may sound crazy but for whatever reason Macs don't override the
default route automatically. You would think that any attached
ethernet device would be considered a best route to that LAN however I
have had experience otherwise.

Cheers,
Mikel King
CEO, Olivent Technologies
Senior Editor, Daemon News
Columnist, BSD Magazine
6 Alpine Court
Medford, NY 11763
http://www.olivent.com
http://www.daemonnews.org
http://www.bsdmag.org
skype: mikel.king
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.