DHCP and MAC addresses

Valentin Bud valentin.bud at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 09:41:07 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Wojciech Puchar <
wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

>  Hello List,
>>
>> Suppose I have 100 Desktops, and I want my DHCP server to _only_
>> assign IP addresses to these hosts, using MAC addresses, is there a
>> way to tell the DHCP server to NOT assign any IP address to a machine
>> whose MAC address it doesn't know?
>>

> of course.
>
> and you can assign IP to each MAC
>
> first
>
> deny unknown-clients;
> (dont specify range at all)

But do define the subnet:
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option domain-name-servers 1.2.3.4;
}
 If you have 100 MAC address by this technique you avoid writing
options routers 1.2.3.4; in each host declaration.
No matter how many subnets you have, just define them and write the
router and DNS server(s) there and in the host declaration just the IP and
(optional)
a host-name.

all the best,