Why does adding /usr/lib32 to LD_LIBRARY_PATH break 64-bit ?binaries?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Oct 27 07:11:13 PDT 2008

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
 > On Friday 24 October 2008 23:20:59 Peter Jeremy wrote:
 > > > this will make system trying to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit program. it
 > > > can't work
 > >
 > > rtld shouldn't attempt to bind 32-bit libs to 64-bit programs.
 >
 > The same problem happens with the Linux run time linker - it merrily tries to
 > link FreeBSD libraries to Linux binaries with predictable results..

You *can* link Linux libraries with FreeBSD binaries (and
vice versa), if the library does not perform any syscalls,
e.g. it is a pure computation library or similar.

 > That said it would be really nice if it ignored incompatible libraries :)

No.  Please don't put such pseudo-cleverness into rtld.
It wouldn't be an improvement, in fact it might break some
working configurations.

Best regards
   Oliver

"That's what I love about GUIs: They make simple tasks easier,
and complex tasks impossible."
        -- John William Chambless