audio streaming without kmplayer, etc???

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sun Oct 26 17:14:22 PDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 07:16:58PM -0400, Chris Hill wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >Only bleep-Doze or linux works, and I'd like a clue how to stream mp3
> >files using X browser on FBSD.  If I try to stream or d/load with
> >konq, it asks if I want to Save, Cancel, or use KMplayer.  For most
> >audio-- streams that last several minutes to two hours--KMplayer is
> >fine.  But for the few French language sites that stream one or two
> >syllables at a time, I wind up with multiple KMplayers.  (And
> >linguist-dunce that I am, I'll reply a word or phrase 20-30 times.
> >Yes, sorry, but I'm that bad.
> >
> >How do I stream an mp3 file without using a player.... Or is there a
> >way?  (I'd use Ubuntu 8.10, but the port is busted right now.
> >Besides, it's time that it just-worked with FreeBSD.  We've already
> >got the most rock solid server OS; why can't we go the additional few
> >centimeters?
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but mplayer-plugin has worked
> under Firefox for a long time now. If you have a URL, I can try it from
> here.

	My bad.  I guess I mis-clivked because at least usinf firefox I
	*do* get audio.  (I did do a theraputic reboot.)  But still at
	fault was that many of the graphics have that "broken-frame"
	square.  I looked thru my configuration; found an
	add-oncalled "No-Script" and disabled it.  Upon restarting
	firefox3, the site graphics are back.    Live and learn:: *read*
	before on add a security feature.

	The free, non-commercial language site is down in
	Victoria.gov.au.  http://www.education.vic.gov.au/languagesonline/

	thanks much indeed,

	gary