the age old 3D hardware question

xorquewasp at googlemail.com xorquewasp at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 25 01:09:08 PDT 2008

Hello.

I'm looking to buy a new workstation that needs to be able to run in
64-bit (long) mode (working with large data sets). What are my options
for 3D acceleration without binary drivers? My needs are quite minimal,
I'm not running any games.

As far as I can tell, only onboard Intel graphics and some ATI cards can
provide acceleration without blobs. Is this really the case?

I'm currently looking at the cheapest ATI cards as it seems that nobody
makes a motherboard with the Intel onboard graphics that's compatible
with Xeon CPUs. Am I going to be disappointed?

Thanks,
xw.

Please CC: me as I'm not subscribed.