problems getting server on line

trolle at trolle.net trolle at trolle.net
Fri Oct 24 06:23:33 PDT 2008

Quoting RAY <ray at stilltech.net>:
> Greetings;
> I have an existing server running FreeBsd 6.3. It's running as a
> name/web/mail
> server.
> I have built a new server to replace it running FreeBsd 7.0. I have both
> servers attached to the same router, with the production server sitting in
> the DMZ. I have tried to switch them over by simply changing which server the
> DMZ points to. When I did this, the new server didn't work. I could connect
> to the webserver  (telnet to port 80) using either localhost or the private
> IP address (192.168...), but not using the domain name. I could connect to
> the default website properly from another computer on the same router using
> the private ip address.
> My first guess was that it was the firewall on the server configured
> incorrectly, so I disabled PF which didn't help.
>
> Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
> Ray

Hi,

It looks like a router problem to me, do you have some port-forwarding
or somethin like that on the router you have not changed?
Have you tried changing the new servers IP to the old servers and
pointing the DMZ to that old IP? as in simply switching the new server
for the old?

Hope this helps.

Mads Trolle