DHCP server

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Fri Oct 24 03:35:50 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 11:43:32AM +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is an issue with my dhcp server or the client, but
> since I seem to get troubles with two different clients, I'm thinking it
> might be the server:
>

> I've got a FreeBSD 7.0-p4 machine running isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.5_2
> serving my home network. When my Linux (Archlinux) client request
> a lease, this happens:
>
> [root at weld:~]$ dhcpcd -n eth0
> eth0: dhcpcd 4.0.2 starting
> eth0: broadcasting for a lease
> eth0: offered 10.0.0.176 from 10.0.1.1 `mirrorball'
> eth0: checking 10.0.0.176 is available on attached networks
>
> ... and then it times out, and does not configure the network. This
> makes me think that there may be a client issue, since the DCHP server
> does indeed offer an address. But I also have troubles with a Mac OS X
> client (although it's a little more vague about the errors).

If the server is handing out /24 network prefixes, then once your clients
bind the offered address in 10.0.0/24, they can no longer communicate with
the server in 10.0.1/24.

You can

a) give the DHCP server an alias IP address in 10.0.0/24 on the
   appropriate interface
b) change the network prefix to 16 bits, so that 10.0.0 and 10.0.1
   (and ALL other addresses with the prefix 10.0) are in the same
   logical network space
c) renumber your DHCP pool

Dan

--