Upgrading 7.1-PRERELEASE

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 23 22:30:47 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 06:41:05AM +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick skrev:
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 06:24:56AM +0200, Leslie Jensen wrote:
>>> I'm running 7.1-PRERELEASE. Yesterday I csup'ed and upgraded as I've
>>> done several times in order to install 7.1-BETA2. Everything went as
>>> it  should, but my system still says 7.1-PRERELEASE. In my
>>> stable-supfile I  have "*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7".
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me where I can make sure that my system upgrades to BETA-2?
>>
>> You are essentially running BETA2, with even newer fixes since the BETA2
>> release.  You should stay with the RELENG_7 tag.
>>
> Thanks Jeremy
> I thought that the uname tag would change to "BETA-2"

I sincerely do not know where "BETA2" (not "BETA-2") comes from.  It's
not defined anywhere in src/sys/conf/newvers.sh in CVS:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh

To me, this means someone is hand-hacking the file before making ISO
releases.  The problem with this is there's no way to correlate what CVS
tag said string is based on; I have to assume it's RELENG_7.

CC'ing Ken, who can probably explain where "BETA2" comes from, since I
believe he's the one who makes the builds.

<opinion>
I really wish we'd name our not-yet-RELEASE-or-STABLE ISO releases as
FreeBSD x.y-PRERELEASE-YYYYMMDD, which would make more sense to users.
</opinion>