Extract Songs from DVD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Oct 23 00:53:05 PDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 02:35:25 -0400, "John L. Templer" <green_tiger at comcast.net> wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > 	% dd if=/dev/acd0t01 of=track01.cdr bs=2352
>
> Very cool!  I have a few questions though.  I notice this doesn't work
> for my Plextor CD writer.

What, dd doesn't work from Plextor writer? I had (or, still have)
a Plextor CD writer which is SCSI, so I just have to change the
command in order to read from the correct device, which is /dev/cd0
for the first SCSI CD drive:

	% dd if=/dev/cd0t01 of=track01.cdr bs=2352

Of course, you would have to change other commands in order to get
this correct, for example:

	% cdcontrol -f /dev/cd0 info

> I assume this is because CD and DVD drives
> have different drivers?

Maybe, but I think these basic things rely on the same commands
internally.

> Also, does this use libparanoia or something
> similar to extract "recalcitrant" tracks?

No, dd reads block-wise. There's dd_rescue which is able to read
from defectively manufactured media (we call them "Un-CDs" or
"Un-DVDs" in Germany).

Another option, by the way, is to use cdrdao. It has the read
command in combination with a paranoia level switch which can be
adjusted in order to read mentioned media. As far as I remember,
you need to have the atapicam facility in your kernel (custom
compile kernel or module) in order to access ATAPI devices just
like SCSI devices.

	% camcontrol devlist

will then show you which device equals /dev/cd0, e. g. 0,0,0
(1st SCSI controller, 1st device, 1st LUN).

If I did misunderstand the question, just post another one. :-)
(English is not my native language.)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany