mysql connection through ssl tunnel

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Tue Oct 21 11:35:16 PDT 2008

On Oct 20, 2008, at 11:09 PM, Peter Boosten wrote:

> John Almberg wrote:
>>
>> I tried this, and not surprisingly, it didn't work. Now I'm trying to
>> debug it...
>>

> Maybe some mixup in the keys? In my example ssh tries to read the
> private key of root on the connecting server, so the server where the
> database is located, because init is run as root. If you need another
> key, then you need to specify this with the -i parameter.

Ah... that makes sense. I had set up the keys for 'admin', but of
course init is run by root. Duh.

That raises another issue... I don't allow root logins on either
server, for security reasons...

Peter, I appreciate your ideas and help, but I think I will stick
with autossh, probably by finally learning how to create an rc.d
script (not sure the actual name for these, but you know what I
mean.) I've actually got autossh working, and think it's a simpler
solution for me.

Thanks.

Brgds: John