Error with kernel PAE option

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 10:30:35 PDT 2008

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 18:43 +0300, Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to build my own kernel with PAE option and getting the following
>>> error...
>>>
>>> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c: In function 'adv_action':
>>> /usr/src/sys/dev/advansys/advansys.c:259: warning: cast from pointer to
>>> integer of different size
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> I removed the PAE option keeping my SMP option in the kernel
>>> configuration for this dual proc server and it builds fine. Any idea
>>> what I can do for this error?
>>>

>> Have a look at:
>>
>>  /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/PAE
>>
>> Is the device that is causing the problem listed with a "nodevice" entry?
>> I guess in your case, it is the "adv" device, and it is listed. This
>> means it does not work with a PAE kernel.
>>

> Thanks, yes, I have nodevice in the PAE file for adv. What does this
> mean and/or how can I address this problem? Should I just remove the
> entry from the PAE file?

No.  The idea behind the "PAE" file is that whatever you see with
nodevice is not supported by PAE kernels.  Even if you manage to compile
a kernel with the device, you will just get into trouble.
The idea behind this file is that you change the line:

include GENERIC

on the top, to your own custom kernel configuration file.
Then you compile with

make buildkernel KERNCONF=PAE

which gets all your settings from your own file *minus* the ones that
are incompatible with PAE  (the ones identified with nodevice)

>> How about going with the 64bit version of FreeBSD?
>>

> That was my first try, but the CPU appears not to support amd64 as there
> are no AMD Features listed in dmesg.

Is it a 64bit CPU? The AMD64 version of FreeBSD supports the Intel 64bit
(Core2 / Quad / Xeon / Pentium 4 / Pentium D) processors as well,
regardless of the "AMD" in its name.