mounting an MP3 player?

Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach johannes-maria at t-online.de
Tue Oct 21 06:59:15 PDT 2008

Hello,

Roland Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 03:39:04PM +0200, Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Roland Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:32:37AM +0200, Johannes-Maria Kaltenbach wrote:

> > > Are there any filesystems on these devices? Try 'file -s /dev/da*' and
> > > post the results.
> >
> > my filesystems are mounted on /dev/ad0s...;
> >
> > $ file -s /dev/da*
> > /dev/da1:  writable, no read permission
> > /dev/da2:  writable, no read permission
> > /dev/da3:  writable, no read permission
> > /dev/da4:  writable, no read permission
>
> Aha! you have a permissions problem. Try running the following commands
> as root, with the device plugged in:
>
> chown root:wheel /dev/da*
> chmod 660 /dev/da*

this doesn't solve the problem:

# ls -l /dev/da*

crw-rw----  1 root  wheel    0, 128 Oct 21 15:34 /dev/da0
crw-rw----  1 root  wheel    0, 129 Oct 21 15:34 /dev/da2
crw-rw----  1 root  wheel    0, 130 Oct 21 15:34 /dev/da3
crw-rw----  1 root  wheel    0, 131 Oct 21 15:34 /dev/da4

but the output of file -s /dev/da* ist still as above:

# file -s /dev/da*
/dev/da0: writable, no read permission
/dev/da2: writable, no read permission
/dev/da3: writable, no read permission
/dev/da4: writable, no read permission

(and the same if I chmod to 666)

Trying to mount the mp3 player to one of these /dev/da#-files
yields
mount: /dev/da#: Device not configured

(the same after the camcontrol comands proposed by Frank Shute
in his reply.)

[btw: now there is a /dev/da0 again, but no /dev/da1, last time
I had no /dev/da0 but a /dev/da1, an so on; I've not yet found
out under what condition a given /dev/da# is created at boot time.
If I connect a usb memory stick then there appears automatically a
/dev/da#s#, some examples: /dev/da1s1, /dev/da4s1, /dev/da0s1,
/dev/da6s1 etc. The mounting of the memory stick to these dev-files
is no problem; I've only problems with th usb mp3 player.]

> These permissions will last until you remove the device. Now you can try
> mounting the devices. (try file -s first, to see what kind of
> filesystems are on there!)
>
> To be able to mount USB disks as a regular user instead of root or to
> make the permissions permanent, there are several things that need to be
> done, especially editing the /etc/devfs.rules configuration file. These
> are explained (among other things) on my FreeBSD page (especially the
> devfs section): http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/index.html
>
> Read this page and see if you can apply it. Don't hesitate to ask (me or
> the mailing list) if you have questions.

it's sufficient to mount as root
but at the moment I'm not able to mount at all

> Good luck!

Thanks
Johannes-Maria