gjournal: journaled slices vs. journaled partitions

Carl k0802647 at telus.net
Tue Oct 21 01:19:32 PDT 2008

Laszlo Nagy wrote:
>> So how do I achieve per-slice journaling instead of per-partition?
> The docs only says this: "gjournal only supports UFS2". It does not
> specifically say that you cannot have per-slice journaling. However,
> since you could have other filesystems on your slice, I bet that slice
> based journaling is not supported.

I thought I read somewhere that because gjournal is block based and not
really part of the filesystem, that it could easily be extended for any
other filesystem. My imagination said that gjournal was probably
therefore only temporarily limited to a slice full of UFS partitions.
Anyone know for sure?

> Another tricky question: why would you journal a SWAP partition?

Well, I don't really want to, but how big does a partition like /var
have to be before it's no longer ill-advised to journal it individually?
A fair bit of writing can occur in /var and the scenario my server will
occupy has me concerned about inglorious shutdowns.

What are the actual reasons for why journaling a small partition is
considered a bad idea?

Carl                                             / K0802647