High Performance Computing Mini-Cluster

Gerardo Paredes gerardon_paredes at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 11:09:56 PDT 2008

--- On Mon, 10/20/08, Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: Sean Cavanaugh <millenia2000 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: RE: High Performance Computing Mini-Cluster
> To: gerardon_paredes at yahoo.com, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
> Date: Monday, October 20, 2008, 9:52 AM
> > Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:19:28 -0700
> > From: gerardon_paredes at yahoo.com
> > To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> > Subject: High Performance Computing Mini-Cluster
> >
> > Hello, i am interested in setting up a small cluster,
> of about 5 machines to show how this can work on a
> university environment. Its kind of a pitch to university
> authorities to show them how this work so they can think on
> investing top dollars on it.  We have a bunch of
> workstations running FreeBSD, However as i been reading
> through the documentation, the canonical situacion would be
> a environment where the machines netboot over the server,
> get most of their partitions over NFS and have NIS installed
> so users can authenticate at the server and share resources
> available at the cluster.
> >

> not an answer to your question, but you might be interested
> by this http://mini-itx.com/projects/cluster/
> might give you some insight into what you are looking for
>
> -Sean

Sean, the link you provided does a good job of helping someone understand the process involved in setting up a cluster, even if it doesn't provide detailed information in a "HOW-TO"  like fashion. Then i guess is up to me to get going and ask questions where i get stuck.  Maybe do the How-to documentation of my own in the process.

Gerardo Paredes