updating a port with problems (libxml2)

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Fri Oct 17 05:41:10 PDT 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 01:01:09 -0700 (PDT)
Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:

> $ cd /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
> $ sudo make deinstall
> $ sudo make reinstall clean
> It would appear that the port has not yet been updated. Is this some
> temporary glitch? Otherwise, the approach I use is not very robust,
> since I have now managed to deinstall a library upon which a dozen or
> so programs depend.

portupgrade builds before deinstalling, and creates a backup
package in case the port builds but fails to install.

BTW you don't need reinstall in the above case, it's only needed if you
want to install twice without using the deinstall or clean
targets in between.

e.g.

make install
pkg_delete <package name of current port>
make reinstall