updating a port with problems (libxml2)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Fri Oct 17 01:01:10 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I use portsnap to keep the port tree of my FreeBSD 7 box up to date.
According to portaudit, which I run nightly, there is a problem with the
current version of libxml2. So, as usual, I run  "sudo portsnap fetch &&
sudo portsnap update", and then:

$ cd /usr/ports/textproc/libxml2
$ sudo make deinstall
$ sudo make reinstall clean

But this last command results in an error:

===>  libxml2-2.6.32 has known vulnerabilities:
=> libxml2 -- two vulnerabilities.
   Reference:
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/portaudit/d71da236-9a94-11dd-8f42-001c2514716c.html>
=> Please update your ports tree and try again.

It would appear that the port has not yet been updated. Is this some
temporary glitch? Otherwise, the approach I use is not very robust, since I
have now managed to deinstall a library upon which a dozen or so programs
depend. However, this is the first time this has happened.

Comments, suggestions most welcome.

Thanks.

-----
  Colin Brace