Radius Authentication

Todor Genov todor.genov at za.verizonbusiness.com
Thu Oct 16 18:06:38 PDT 2008

Hi Matt,

The three important steps here are as follows:

1.) Confirm that authentication against the RADIUS server succeeds using
any command line RADIUS util.

2.) configure /etc/radius.conf as per "man pam_radius" and man "radius.conf"

3.) Add a user on the FreeBSD machine whose name corresponds with the
Windows domain account (if the name contains spaces then refer to the
pre-Windows2000 compatible username in AD). This is mandatory as
pam_radius is only used for authentication. UID, GID, home dir and all
*nix relevant account parameters are still retrieved from the local user
database.

 An alternative to step 3 would be to use the template_user option in
radius.conf, but this means that all your Windows users will appear to
the system with same UID/GID as the template_user.

--
Regards,

Todor Genov
Systems Operations