Printing to a Lanier LD160c does not work

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Oct 16 16:33:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, ajphanks at comcast.net wrote:

> I am trying to setup a Lanier LD160c (admincolor) that has a network
> interface.  I am new to FreeBSD and tried to follow the handbook.  I
> am able to print to a HP 5SI (corp-admin) with no problems.  There are
> no errors in the lpd-errs and the file is drained from the queue, but
> the printer does not print anything.  And this is a working printer to
> Windows. lpr -P admincolor testfile.txt
>
> printcap:
> corp-admin|hp|laserjet|Hewlett Packard LaserJet 5Si:\
>        :lp=\
>        :sd=/var/spool/output/corp-admin:rm=corp-admin:\
>        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>        :if=/usr/local/libexec/crlfilter:sh:tr=\f:mx#0:
>
> admincolor|hp|laserjet|LANIER LD160c RPCS:\
>        :lp=\
>        :sd=/var/spool/output/admincolor:rm=admincolor:\
>        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Note here that in the second entry you don't have the :sh: and :mx#0:
entries.  No :if=: either, but maybe that's because you don't need an
input filter for this printer.

At first guess, this printer may be touchy about the print queue name.
That's the :rp=: parameter, which is not here at all.  There are a
couple of KB entries on the Lanier site that say to use "lp".

printcap entries are easier to read if you put one option per line:

admincolor:\
         :lp=:\
         :sh:\
         :mx#0:\