FreeBSD and Nagios - permissions

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Thu Oct 16 15:14:51 PDT 2008

Mel wrote:
> On Thursday 16 October 2008 23:36:51 Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
>> Mel wrote:
>
> <snip>

>>>                  ^^^^
> This means:
> ALLOW nagios user from anywhere to run commands NAGIOS_CMNDS as user root
> without a password.

> The above sudo command, runs as nagios user, not as root.
>
>> But... the command "/sbin/camcontrol inquiry da0" IS run as root through
>> the setup in sudoers above,
>
> See above. To test if it would work, you'd have to login as nagios then run
> sudo /sbin/camcontrol inquiry da0.

OK, I'm sure you're right, this was my first encounter with sudo. But,
nagios, running in parallel, reported identical results as the ones I
got from the command line. That is why I draw the conclusion that giving
nagios root access to NAGIOS_CMNDS was not enough and the reported error
(access to /dev/xpt0) was not part of any direct command.

Maybe this is wrong and I made a mistake but because this is *nix I'm
confident there are other less kludgy solutions to the problem.
--
per