I've just found a new and interesting spam source - legitimate bounce messages

eculp at casasponti.net eculp at casasponti.net
Thu Oct 16 10:35:44 PDT 2008

RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> escribió:

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:58:44 -0500
> eculp at casasponti.net wrote:
>
>> RW <fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com> escribi__:
>>
>> > Many people recommend SPF for backscatter, but I've yet to hear a
>> > cogent argument for why it helps beyond the very optimistic hope
>> > that spammers will check that their spam is spf compliant.
>>
>> I feel the same way and thanks for adding some humor to the situation.
>
> Actually that wasn't a joke, some people do cite that as the reason
> why SPF helps with backscatter, that spammers will leave your domain
> out of the "mail from" line if you publish SPF records for it.

I see that but it still touched my funny bone but the problem is how
many mail servers and admins completely ignore SPF and what happens to
those who do try to comply?  I'm sure that the hundreds of bounces
that I have received are minimal in comparison to the delivered email.
  In fact many are reporting that a user is "over quota"

Thanks,

ed