FreeBSD and Nagios - permissions

Ivailo Tanusheff i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg
Thu Oct 16 02:43:54 PDT 2008

I think the problem is with the permisions of the specific user.
The way to get over it is to use sudo and configure it to allow the nagios
user execute camcontrol. This way the line should be : sudo camcontrol
inquiry da0

Regards,

Ivailo Tanusheff
Deputy Head of IT Department
ProCredit Bank (Bulgaria) AD

Per olof Ljungmark <peo at intersonic.se>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
16.10.2008 10:52

freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
cc

Subject
FreeBSD and Nagios - permissions

Hi,

I'm implementing a shell script as a Nagios plugin to check the status
of the ciss(4) driver. However, there is a permission problem that I am
not sure about the best way to get around in FreeBSD (7-STABLE).

The nrpe daemon that handles the script runs as the "nagios" user and
the command needed is camcontrol:

camcontrol inquiry da0

The nagios user does not have a shell by default in FreeBSD:
nagios:*:181:181::0:0:Nagios
pseudo-user:/var/spool/nagios:/usr/sbin/nologin
so the script will obviously fail.

I would assume there are several ways to get around this and would
welcome "best practice" suggestions on how.

Thanks,

--per