Under heavy load internet gets killed, only a reboot can bring it back up

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 15 13:08:33 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:02:46PM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 11:49 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > How exactly did you download the URLs I gave you?
> >
> > Can you show me what's on line 241 of if_msk.c?
> >
> > A 'grep ^#include if_msk.c' for me returns lines which only include
> > filenames surrounded with "" or <>.
>
>  I downloaded the files this way:
>
> wget http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/msk/if_msk.c?rev=1.34;content-type=text%2Fplain

This is wrong.  Your shell has interpreted variables in the URL, and you
ended up downloading the wrong URL, which caused HTML and other things
to appear in the file.  Is this your first time using UNIX?  This is a
little surprising.

You need to do (note the apostrophes, DO NOT use double-quotes):

$ wget -O if_msk.c 'http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/msk/if_msk.c?rev=1.34;content-type=text%2Fplain'

And be sure to do the same for the include file (change the -O argument,
obviously).