Under heavy load internet gets killed, only a reboot can bring it back up

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 15 04:49:51 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 01:40:45PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> One thing worth trying would be to disable MSI/MSI-X.  You can disable
>> these by adding the following to your /boot/loader.conf :
>>
>> hw.pci.enable_msix="0"
>> hw.pci.enable_msi="0"
>
> what's wrong in MSI interrupts?

Nothing -- but there are known compatibility problems with MSI/MSI-X on
some boards.  I remember reading about this with regards to em(4) not
too long ago.  It's worth ruling out, especially since his problem is
reproducible (if disabling MSI doesn't fix the problem, he can simply
remove those two loader.conf variables and we've ruled out one
possibility).

>>> mskc0: Uncorrectable PCI Express error
>>> mskc0: Uncorrectable PCI Express error
>>
>> Those errors at the end of your dmesg don't look good; could be the sign
>> of a NIC or motherboard that's going bad, or possibly a very strange
>> driver problem.
>
> or just connectors should be cleaner or card isn't fitted well - contact
> problems.

I'm under the impression his NIC is on-board, not a physical PCI-E card.