How to get my Dad's Win2k system to access internet through my FreeBSD 6.2 system

Michael Powell nightrecon at verizon.net
Tue Oct 14 04:43:46 PDT 2008

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
[snip]

>> > Doesn't he need to also set sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1 for his
>> > box to act as a gateway?  Or is this handled by the NAT portion?
>> >
>> The gateway_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf sets this.
>
> Right, but it wasn't in your /etc/rc.conf example (see your mail), so I
> figured the OP would come back saying "Okay I did what you said but it
> still doesn't work!"

Well that is going to happen anyway. ;-) I wasn't trying to write a
tutorial, but rather an overview of what's involved. It's up to him to do
the necessary RTFM to fill in the blanks.

Yes - I agree it should have included it in the example snippet. By the time
I got to that portion my thinking was fixated on the firewall aspect. It
would have been clearer, perhaps, had it been so.

-Mike