rsync or even scp questions....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Oct 13 05:44:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 09:42:38AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> mdh wrote:
> >--- On Sat, 10/11/08, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> >>	On the Ubuntu computer I am /home/kline; on my main
> >>computer,
> >>	my home is /usr/home/kline.   The following sh script
> >>worked
> >>	perfected when my home on "tao" [FBSD] was
> >>/home/kline:

> >>#!/bin/sh
> >>
> >>PWD=`pwd`;
> >>echo "This directory is [${PWD}]";
> >>
> >>scp -qrp  ${PWD}/* ethos:/${PWD}
> >>###/usr/bin/scp -rqp -i /home/kline/.ssh/zeropasswd-id
> >>${PWD}/* \ klin
> >>e at ethos:/${PWD}
> >>
> >>	Question #1: is there any /bin/sh method of getting rid of
> >>the
> >>	"/usr"?  I switch off between my two computers
> >>especially when
> >>	get mucked up, as with my upgrade to kde4.  (Otherwise, I
> >>do
> >>	backups of ~kline as well as other critical directories.)
> >>
> >>	Is there a way of automatically using rsync rather that my
> >>	kwik-and-dirty /bin/shell script?
> >>
> >>	thanks, people,
> >>
> >>	gary
> >
> >If what you wish to do is simply get rid of /usr in a string, you can use
> >sed like so:
> >varWithoutUsr=`echo ${varWithUsr} |sed -e 's/\/usr//'`
> >After running this, where $varWithUsr is the variable containing a string
> >like "/usr/home/blah", the variable $varWithoutUsr will be equal to
> >"/home/blah".  I create simple scripts like this all the time to rename
> >batches of files, for example.
> >The easier way is probably just to not specify a dir to scp's remote path
> >though, since it defaults to the user's home directory.
>
> Or, in anything resembling Bourne shell:
>
> varWithoutUsr=${varWithUsr#/usr}

	I'll be damrned!  It works--I've used the zsh for almost 20
	years; it's a ksh clone++.  How, may I ask, does this work?
	(I've seen ksh chopping from the RHS; I wrote a short C util to
	axe any part of a string, but have never seen  *this* voodoo.
	LOL++)

	In any event, merci infiniement!

	gary

	PS: this will save my rsync scripts too.