Need help installing on SATA

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Mon Oct 13 00:34:11 UTC 2008

On 10 Oct 2008 at 22:08, Brian wrote:

> Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > Does anyone know the magic incantation that will permit me to install
> > FreeBSD on this new machine of mine (nVidia chipset, SATA1 disk
> > controller)?
> >
> > I've been trying for a week or so now, with no luck.  Just out of
> > curiosity, I downloaded and ran Ubuntu 8.x, and it recognized all of
> > my hardware automatically.  The FreeBSD installer (both in 7.x and
> > 8.x), though, can't find my hard drive or CD-ROM.

[snip]

> Can u not get thru the install, or do you have issues afterwards?
> I make it thru the install ok, but when I upgrade to stable, I have
> problems due to numbering changes.
> I'd suggest using google or the freebsd website to search for your
> motherboard model and some other search terms.
> You'll probably be told to check the supported hw list to start with.

No, the install process breaks down when I go to the disk
partitioning screen, as no useable disks are being found at all.

I'll try to gather more detailed info on my hardware and try asking
again.  Also will try 7.1-BETA, although I'm rather pessimistic since
I've already tried the latest CURRENT snapshot with the same results.
:-(

Conrad