Installation Hangs

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 12 18:02:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:54:26AM -0700, ton80 wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to install FreeBSD.
> During the install (actually at the beginning of the process) the system
> hangs indefinitely.
> When it gets to the select country screen...it is frozen.
> During the boot process, as it is reading all the hardware, it finds the USB
> controller OK then later it states there was an IO error and that the USB
> controller is halted. I have a USB Keyboard and mouse...so I would say the
> problem is here.
> Is there any workaround I can use to get things going?

I'm inclined to believe the installation isn't "hung", but rather that
FreeBSD isn't properly working with your USB keyboard (this is very
likely, given the state of USB on FreeBSD -- work is underway on CURRENT
to fix these problems), so you think the installation is "hung", but
in reality it's just waiting for a keypress.

The only workaround I can think of would be to get a PS/2 keyboard and
use that.  Chances are even if you get the OS installed, you probably
won't be able to type at the console (with the USB keyboard).  :-)

And please remember that on many systems you should reboot the system
after plugging in or removing a PS/2 keyboard; hot-swapping only works
on some motherboards.