rsync or even scp questions....

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Oct 11 23:46:21 UTC 2008

	I have two "desktop" computers; three, if you count my new
	ThinkPad.  The TPad needs a new CAT5 cable, so for now I'm only
	considereing the two tower computers.

	On the Ubuntu computer I am /home/kline; on my main computer,
	my home is /usr/home/kline.   The following sh script worked
	perfected when my home on "tao" [FBSD] was /home/kline:

#!/bin/sh

PWD=`pwd`;
echo "This directory is [${PWD}]";

scp -qrp  ${PWD}/* ethos:/${PWD}
###/usr/bin/scp -rqp -i /home/kline/.ssh/zeropasswd-id ${PWD}/* \ klin
e at ethos:/${PWD}

	Question #1: is there any /bin/sh method of getting rid of the
	"/usr"?  I switch off between my two computers especially when
	get mucked up, as with my upgrade to kde4.  (Otherwise, I do
	backups of ~kline as well as other critical directories.)

	Is there a way of automatically using rsync rather that my
	kwik-and-dirty /bin/shell script?

	thanks, people,

	gary

	PS: Complete disclosure: it works one way [tao to ethos] because
	    I have created a /usr/home/kline/* tree on ethos.  ....

	PPS:  if this seems like a numbskull query, i only caught a few
	      hours sleep last night!