cvsup 7.0 STABLE checkout failure

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 11 14:47:14 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 01:21:31AM +0530, Shakul M Hameed wrote:
> > 1) Your setup looks very custom.  I see SMB/CIFS in use, and you're
> > using a non-standard directory for the cvsup CVS data (the default is
>   Yes, I am using mount_smbfs to mount a network harddrive to store all my devel code.
>   I don't want to overcrowd the the root disk

I'm left wondering if there are some permissions or ownership issues as
a result of this.

>   I am using X11 cvsup stable-supfile. This is the snapshot of my modified cvsup file
> # Defaults that apply to all the collections
> #
> # IMPORTANT: Change the next line to use one of the CVSup mirror sites
> # listed at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html.
> *default host=cvsup3.de.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/
> *default prefix=/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/src/
> # The following line is for 7-stable.  If you want 6-stable, 5-stable,
> # 4-stable, 3-stable, or 2.2-stable, change to "RELENG_6", "RELENG_5",
> # "RELENG_4", "RELENG_3", or "RELENG_2_2" respectively.
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>
> # If you seem to be limited by CPU rather than network or disk bandwidth, try
> # commenting out the following line.  (Normally, today's CPUs are fast enough
> # that you want to run compression.)
> *default compress
>
> ## Main Source Tree.
> #
> # The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
> # mega-collection.  It includes all of the individual "src-*" collections.
> # Please note:  If you want to track -STABLE, leave this uncommented.
> src-all

I have no idea what an "X11 cvsup stable-supfile" is, so I assume you
mean you've used /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile as a template
supfile, but have your own somewhere else.

The reason I was confused: you first stated you're using the ones in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup, and I assumed that mean you were using it
directly.  You shouldn't modify any files in /usr/share/examples, as
they will be replaced/overwritten during installworld.

Your pasted supfile looks fine, however.

> > 2) Check permissions and ownership of all directories leading up to
> > /usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all.  Yes, check every single
> > one.

Please do this.

> > 3) Ensure your umask is 022 before starting cvsup.  This could be a side
> > result of item #2.
>    umask is 0022
> >
> > 4) I'm not sure why you're using cvsup on a 7.x box when csup comes with
> > the base system.
>
>   I don't know why ? :-) . But I did as it was listed in the FreeBSD handbook.

Are you sure?  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/cvsup.html -- see
the first "Note:" paragraph.

> > I would also try doing this as a last resort:
> >
> > rm -fr /usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all
> > rm -fr /usr/src/*
> > csup -h <cvsupserver> -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
>

> As a lost resort, I did a "cvsup -g -L2 stable-supfile", with just
> changing the HOST part without changing other entries in
> stable-supfile, and I was successful to download the code.

I don't see how that would fix or change anything.  In fact, I'm fairly
certain it doesn't.

The error you are receiving from cvsup is telling you "I tried to rename
a file, but couldn't".  This often implies a permissions or ownership
thing.  Since the directory you're storing stuff in is on an SMB/CIFS
share, I cannot help but wonder if that's the cause of the problem
(somehow).

> Currently, I am trying out to figure why the customised way is failing.

I see nothing wrong with your supfile.