freebsd7 & kde4 & performance

mdh mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 14:40:03 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 10/11/08, Michal Kulczewski <kulka at man.poznan.pl> wrote:
> > freebsdemail at gmail.com wrote:
> >> Hi Michael,
> >>
> >> Unfortunetly I've been having the same
> difficulty with KDE4. I've
> >> tried using both the nv driver as well as nvidia.
> >>
> >> My hardware is intel core2 duo 1.8ghz, nvidia 8600
> gs with 512
> >> dedicated memory and 2gigs of system memory.
> I've tried using 7.0, 7.1
> >> and 8.0(Current) with all malloc debugging
> features disabled as well
> >> as kernel debugging options turned off. I've
> also tried switching back
> >> to UFS filesystems from ZFS(root install) to no
> avail.
> >>
> >> In the end I ended up using kde3 due to endless
> headaches. I felt I'd
> >> share this in hopes someone has managed to get it
> to run reasonably well.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Tom
> well, there is no much information available though. IMHO
> it's a pity
> that once fancy gui is available, freebsd users can not
> make use of it.
> I have to switch to gnome (somehow I don't like kde3).
>
> Cheers,
>  Michal

Michal, can you describe in more detail just what is performing poorly?  Things like what effects, what actions you're taking, what your settings are that effect those actions, etc?  I'm running KDE4.1.1 from ports on 7-STABLE and have no performance problems at all with an AthlonX2, 2gigs of memory, and a GeForce6200 card using nvidia binary drivers.  One thing I have come up against was the nvidia "black windows bug" with OpenGL effects turned on, but turning them off doesn't signifigantly hinder my enjoyment of KDE4, or make it too much less sexy to be honest.  The performance was also fine even with them turned on; it simply caused that bug to occur which made it less usable.
Generally speaking, I've found GNOME to run with more performance issues despite less bells and whistles than KDE every time on any system where I've tried it.
If you provide some more information, maybe I can direct you to some setting tweaks, etc, but as I said it's working just lovely for me (and this is with a ton of apps open, by the way - several seamonkey windows, a bunch of kpdf, eclipse, many many konsole tabs, xmms, ktorrent, and more.
One thing I am curious of is if you're running i386 FreeBSD, or another architecture (amd64, ia64, etc?)
Take care.
- mdh