cvsup 7.0 STABLE checkout failure

Shakul M Hameed smohideen at mx2.labs.rootshell.ws
Sat Oct 11 14:15:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 05:38:26AM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:33:08PM +0530, Shakul M Hameed wrote:
> > Forwarding original msg to freebsd-questions mailing list.
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 11:06:13PM +0530, Shakul M Hameed wrote:
> > > I am trying to download 7.0 stable release through cvsup, but it fails. I tried changing the server, but still get those errors.
> > >
> > > ----- ERROR -------
> > >
> > > Checkout src/share/doc/psd/15.yacc/ss..
> > > Updater failed: Error in
> > > "/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_7": Cannot rename
> > > "/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all/#cvs.cvsup-7219.0" to
> > > "/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_7": No such filer or directory
> > >
> > > ---- SUPFILE -----
> > > default stable-cvsup from /usr/share/examples/cvsup
> > > --
> > >
> > > pls, indicate what i am doing wrong here?
>
> 1) Your setup looks very custom.  I see SMB/CIFS in use, and you're
> using a non-standard directory for the cvsup CVS data (the default is
  Yes, I am using mount_smbfs to mount a network harddrive to store all my devel code.
  I don't want to overcrowd the the root disk

> /usr/sup).  You're either starting cvsup with some custom arguments or
> your supfile *is* in fact modified.

  I am using X11 cvsup stable-supfile. This is the snapshot of my modified cvsup file
# Defaults that apply to all the collections
#
# IMPORTANT: Change the next line to use one of the CVSup mirror sites
# listed at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html.
*default host=cvsup3.de.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/
*default prefix=/usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/src/
# The following line is for 7-stable.  If you want 6-stable, 5-stable,
# 4-stable, 3-stable, or 2.2-stable, change to "RELENG_6", "RELENG_5",
# "RELENG_4", "RELENG_3", or "RELENG_2_2" respectively.
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_7
*default delete use-rel-suffix

# If you seem to be limited by CPU rather than network or disk bandwidth, try
# commenting out the following line.  (Normally, today's CPUs are fast enough
# that you want to run compression.)
*default compress

## Main Source Tree.
#
# The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
# mega-collection.  It includes all of the individual "src-*" collections.
# Please note:  If you want to track -STABLE, leave this uncommented.
src-all

> 2) Check permissions and ownership of all directories leading up to
> /usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all.  Yes, check every single
> one.
>
> 3) Ensure your umask is 022 before starting cvsup.  This could be a side
> result of item #2.
   umask is 0022

> 4) I'm not sure why you're using cvsup on a 7.x box when csup comes with
> the base system.

  I don't know why ? :-) . But I did as it was listed in the FreeBSD handbook.

> I would also try doing this as a last resort:
>
> rm -fr /usr/home/moin/smbmount/code/SUPDB/sup/src-all
> rm -fr /usr/src/*
> csup -h <cvsupserver> -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile

As a lost resort, I did a "cvsup -g -L2 stable-supfile", with just changing the HOST part without changing other entries in stable-supfile, and I was successful to download the code.

Currently, I am trying out to figure why the customised way is failing.

                     - Moin