Re Apache + Mailman

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Oct 10 02:39:57 UTC 2008

--On October 9, 2008 9:02:20 PM -0500 Grant Peel <gpeel at thenetnow.com>
wrote:

> Cool Paul,
>
> How about the rest of these:
>
> '--prefix=/home/mailman'
> '--with-username=mailman'
> '--with-mail-gid=mailman'
> '--with-cgi-gid=mailman'

You can do it that way, but the port has an OPTION for Postfix that will
set mail-gid to mailman and username is set to mailman by default.  So the
only one you really need to set is cgi-gid, which is www by default.

I used to use /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf to define those values to keep
from having to remember them on the commandline every time I portupgraded
mailman, but that hasn't been necessary in a while.

> And do you think it would make a difference to the cookies issue I am
> having?

I'm not sure, but as a port maintainer, I can tell you that a great deal
of effort goes into ensuring that the ports work as expected.  They are
thoroughly tested, and the committers are very conscientious about getting
errors fixed before the ports are committed.

I would deinstall what you have, install the port and then see if the
issue still remains.  If it does, we can work on figuring out what the
problem is at that point.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas