daily/weekly/monthly periodic output

Corey Dulecki corey at internationalservices.com
Thu Oct 9 15:06:45 UTC 2008

I have FreeBSD 6.2 running on IBM hardware, single CPU.  This server
does not have sendmail enabled at all, i.e., in /etc/rc.conf, all four
of the "sendmail_xxx" enablers are set to "NO".  Today, the /var
filesystem ran out of inodes.

I tracked the issue down to files that keep appearing in
/var/spool/clientmqueue.  I've researched enough to understand that
these files represent emails that cannot be sent, presumably because I
do not have a mail server running on the system.  I do not want to
enable sendmail or any other client; what I want to do is have the
processes which generate these emails send their information to a log,
which I will check manually.  I believe these emails are being generated
by the daily/weekly/monthly periodic processes, something that I didn't
even know existed until I ran out of inodes.

My question is this:  How can I make it so that these periodic processes
simply log their messages instead of sending emails that get stuck in
clientmqueue?  Alternatively, if I can't do that, how do I simply turn
off these emails entirely so that they are not sent?
--

/
/*/Corey Dulecki

This mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are
not the intended recipient (or have received this mail in error) please
notify
the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is strictly
forbidden.