VNC server embedded into Xorg server

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Wed Oct 8 04:18:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

Sorry for jumping in the middle of the thread.

> There was a port called net/vnc that contained a vnc.so file. That file
> could be loaded into the Xorg server and then I was able to monitor the
> X desktop with VNC.
>
> Now I'm using gnome, and gnome2-fifth-toe installs tightvnc. It
> conflicts with net/vnc. So I cannot install net/vnc. What other options
> I have to run an X server?

I would:

- deinstall net/vnc
- install gnome and let it install tinyvnc
- manually deinstall tinyvnc
- install net/vnc

> The only extra wish is that the X server must be able to start
> automatically, e.g. without logging into gnome. I need this because the
> X server will be located at a distant location and I have to be able to
> use it after a system restart.

Especially with gnome, the X server starts before you do any
authentication, when gnome present the loggin window, X has already
started.

To do X over vnc remotely, you need quite some amount of
bandwidth. Are you sure you need a graphical access?

X protocol is designed natively to run over the network, so you may
not need vnc. With X you can have an application running on your
remote computer, with the display coming to your desktop machine (if
your desktop machine is some Windows thing, there are good "X
emulators for Windows").

If you really want to keep your setting, there should exist a gnome
startup script that you can hack to run vnc somewhere between the line
starting X and the line starting gnome authentication.

Best regards,

Olivier