Coretemp seems to be off quite a bit

Walt Pawley walt at wump.org
Tue Oct 7 23:40:53 UTC 2008

>On Oct 7, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>I remounted the heatsink (side note: curse you, Intel - was that meant
>to be funny?), and didn't apply a single bit of paste other than what
>came on it.

FWIW: one needs to be careful with the application of heat sink
"paste" if one doesn't want to do more harm than good. A very
many years ago, when I was young enough to be a practicing
engineer, National Semiconductor published some notes about
various component to heat sink mounting methodologies. There
were two results that stood out. First, using too much heat
sink compound is worse than using nothing at all. The reason is
that metal to metal is quite good and the proper application of
of compound should only just fill the voids where the two
"flat" surfaces don't touch. Second, metal to metal is quite
good - as evidenced by a very large jump in heat conductivity
when the component was surface soldered to the heat sink.
--

Walter M. Pawley <walt at wump.org>
Wump Research & Company