thorny (for me) permissions problem

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Tue Oct 7 14:23:55 UTC 2008

On Oct 7, 2008, at 9:34 AM, Jeremy Hooks wrote:

>>> 4. however, after upload, the file has the ownership A:B (i.e,
>>> owned by
> A, group B) with permissions -rw-r--r--. So B does not have
> permission to
> delete the file.
>        -rw-r--r-- 1 user_a user_b 154879 Oct 7 08:40 data_file.csv
>
> Hi John.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong but permission to delete a file depends on
> the
> users permissions for the containing directory.  If B has write
> permission
> on the directory then B can delete the file.  However you will
> likely need
> to use 'rm -f'.

Argh!!!!

As a newbie admin, I really have a tough time with permissions. I
swear I got a permissions error when I tried to delete this dang
file, but I just logged in as B and was able to delete it just fine.
Of course this is because B owns the directory.

I guess I must have done something boneheaded an hour or two ago...
gosh, I hate wasting time. Mine, and the lists, of course.

Well, thanks to Valintin, I did figure out how to change the umask
for pure-ftpd. So now uploaded files have the permissions I wanted,
even if they are not needed.

And thanks to the rest, I figured out it was working all along... And
now I can't even duplicate the error I saw before...

<sigh> Does this ever get any easier??? How can any one person
remember all this stuff???

-- John