Freebsd-update with a custom kernel and jails

FreeBSD freebsd at optiksecurite.com
Mon Oct 6 15:32:01 UTC 2008

FreeBSD a écrit :
>> matt donovan a écrit :

>> So it is right to say that the custom kernel "problem" applies only
>> when upgrading to a newer release?
>>
>> All I have to do is 'freebsd-update fetch install' to update the base
>> system then 'freebsd-update -b /usr/jail/jail_name fetch install' to
>> update the jails?
>>
>> I hope so because it would be very impressing :)
>>
>> Martin
> Another question just came to my head: May I update the src before
> compiling my custom kernel or should I keep the original src that
> shipped with the release to be able to use freebsd-update?
>
> Thank you very much for your help!
>
> Martin

I just tried it (freebsd-update fetch install) and after a reboot uname
-a still shows FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #0 while freebsd-update told me I was
going to update to 7.0-RELEASE-p5. But, I noticed that the files that
needed to be updated were updated.

I'm a little confused...can someone explain this behaviour to me?

Thanks,

Martin