continuous backup solution for freebsd?

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net.tr
Mon Oct 6 14:47:25 UTC 2008

Julien Cigar wrote:
> Bacula ? http://www.bacula.org
> I use it at work to backup linux and freebsd boxes and it works like a
> charm.
>
> On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 04:20 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 12:58:30PM +0300, Evren Yurtesen wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there a known continuous backup solution similar to r1soft backup for
>>> FreeBSD? I googled a lot but couldnt find anything.
>>>
>>> R1soft says they need help to develop FreeBSD support in their product.
>>> Do you know anybody who can help r1soft on this issue?
>>>
>>> Please see: http://forum.r1soft.com/showpost.php?p=3414&postcount=9
>> Would the GEOM gate class handle this?  See ggatec(8) and ggated(8).

Bacula does not support continuous backups as far as I know. It has to
scan all the files to find new/changed files to backup. The r1soft agent
monitors file system writes and backs up changed parts immediately. This
does allow r1soft backup to restore the system to its latest state
(10-15minutes ago state, thus continuous backup is achieved) as it
continually updates the backups. Also has much less stress on the
systems where the writes are not so much since it doesnt have to check
every file at each backup cycle. Also r1soft cdp has support for MySQL
where you can easily restore mysql data in table level if required. It
is as well supported by a wide variety of web hosting automation systems
for example H-Sphere ( http://www.parallels.com/hsphere/ ) etc. through
plugins.

Please see the info about continuous data protection:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_Data_Protection

Otherwise I am currently using BackupPC (which is pretty good in my
opinion and easier to use compared to Bacula) to take nightly backups of
the servers.

Thanks,
Evren