processes hanging in _umtx_op

Dale Hagglund dale.hagglund at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 16:07:39 UTC 2008

    Mel> Can you change scheduler to ULE and rebuild kernel?
    Mel> Or better yet, try 7.1-PRERELEASE, since it's good to know if
    Mel> this bug persists with 7.1 being close to release.

I'll rebuild with ULE first, and let you and the list know what happens.

    Mel> It's not a 'standard answer', btw, but an educated guess, since
    Mel> utmx is (simplified) the kernel equivalent of
    Mel> pthread_(rwlock|mutex)_* and looks like it's hanging in one of
    Mel> those functions.

This was my guess as well.  I first noticed this hang while attempting
to build gnuradio around the end of August.  During conversations with
the maintainer, Diane Bruce, about this hang she recognized it from
before and suggested that she'd been able to fix it at that time by
upgrading all ports (or maybe just the wx port) on her system.

    Mel> Now, it can simply be programmer error (lock twice, unlock
    Mel> once), but most of the time the kernel catches this for me with
    Mel> EDEADLK.

The background with gnuradio and the Diane's suggestion to upgrade ports
lead to my thought that I could easily have some sort of conflicting or
out-of-date combination of libraries causing some sort of locking
problem.

That said, I've since upgraded almost all of my ports/packages, but
building gnuradio still hangs the same way.  Life/work got very busy
just after that, so I unfortunately didn't got back to Diane with this
update.  Also, I just saw the same hang with the openoffice 3.0beta
(milestone m5) package.  Just out of curiousity, I produced the list
of shared dependencies between these packages and have attached these below.

    Mel> If you're comfy with kernel debugging, print uap->op when it's
    Mel> hanging, so we know which op it's waiting on.

I haven't used the kernel debugger before, but I'd be willing to give it
a go after trying some of the things above.  If you have a pointer to a
slightly more detailed set of instructions, I'd definitely appreciate
it.

Dale.
--------------------
ORBit2-2.14.14