PXE real life use

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Thu Oct 2 01:56:07 UTC 2008

At 02:04 PM 10/1/2008, Chris Papageorgiou wrote:

>Dear Derek,
>First Id like to thank you for your reply.
>Yes I've read the handbook and lots of other technical articles on this
>particular subject,
>what concerns me is the overall 'worth' of this technique just to install
>OS's on customer's computers through PXE and not by the traditional way.
>
>Best Regards,
>Chris

Chris,

This is best used  as a way to boot a client into an OS.  You can then
control the OS used for these clients, AND have just one place to worry
about updates.  It also gives you control on what applications you make
available to the users.

While you can use PXE,, bootp, or tftp to provide a boot and then load an
OS to a local drive, that is usually more trouble than it is worth.

         -Derek

>Derek Ragona wrote:
> >
> > At 03:03 AM 10/1/2008, Chris Papageorgiou wrote:
> >
> >>Hello all,
> >>I'd like to point a subject on PXE server usage on a daily basis such as a
> >>service department.
> >>Im thinking of developing such system to load OS's(not strictly *NIX)
> >>installations through LAN than using a CD each time.
> >>What would be the cons,pros to such system and what are the limits?
> >>
> >>Looking forward for your replies.
> >>
> >>Best regards,
> >>Chris Papageorgiou
> >
> > Chris,
> >
> > Have you read the handbook on diskless clients?  That will give you some
> > good background on the subject.
> >
> > The reason to use diskless clients is simplified support, where you only
> > need to update the diskless client boot to update all the clients that use
> > that boot.
> >
> > As for issues, bandwidth can be problematic, depending on the number of
> > clients, and if they all boot at the same time.
> >
> >          -Derek
> >
> > --
> > believed to be clean.

>--