PXE real life use

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Wed Oct 1 16:01:13 UTC 2008

At 03:03 AM 10/1/2008, Chris Papageorgiou wrote:

>Hello all,
>I'd like to point a subject on PXE server usage on a daily basis such as a
>service department.
>Im thinking of developing such system to load OS's(not strictly *NIX)
>installations through LAN than using a CD each time.
>What would be the cons,pros to such system and what are the limits?
>
>Looking forward for your replies.
>
>Best regards,
>Chris Papageorgiou

Chris,

Have you read the handbook on diskless clients?  That will give you some
good background on the subject.

The reason to use diskless clients is simplified support, where you only
need to update the diskless client boot to update all the clients that use
that boot.

As for issues, bandwidth can be problematic, depending on the number of
clients, and if they all boot at the same time.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.