FreeBSD 4.8: can't load kernel after doing "cp -R /" to another disk

admin at azuni.net admin at azuni.net
Sat Nov 29 21:57:38 PST 2008

>> Hello, everyone. This is the problem: our SCSI disk with FreeBSD 4.8
>> on it has been failing recently, so I copied its root partition to a
>> fresh IDE disk with cp -pR and
>
> You should use dump and restore to copy the root partition, see:

I'd done that before trying cp -pR, as outlined by rse@:

dump -L -0 -f- /old | (cd /new && restore -r -v -f-)
http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/

which isn't too different. I think I know what the problem is: I made
the new single slice and FreeBSD partition on it and ran newfs -U on it
using the latest FreeBSD 5.x livecd toolkit, and later 4.8 can't even
mount that partition (mount /dev/ad0s1a /mnt) failing with "incorrect
superblock", so I think its /boot/loader can't load the kernel because
of FS issues (but strangely enough pressing "?" at the boot loader
prompt lists directory entries of the root FS just fine). It turns out
UFS isn't upwards compatible from releases 4.8 -> 5.5. I'll try running
newfs -U from 4.8. Last time I checked many 4.8 binaries couldn't run
due to disk errors, I hope newfs runs ok...