Copying audio CD with dd/cdrecord produces unplayable CD

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sat Nov 29 12:48:28 PST 2008

Polytropon wrote:
> Strange... are these definitely audio CD tracks? You could

They are definitely raw audio CD tracks.

> use this form to explicitely tell sox how to interpret the
> data (which is "headerless" on audio CDs, of course):
>
> 	sox -r 14400 -c 2 -b -L -S -x track.cdr track_rev.cdr

This command fails:
$ sox sox: Bits value `-L' is not a positive integer

Also -L option seems to conflict with -x:
$ Failed: only one endian option per file is allowed

But this command works and again produces the errors:
$ sox -r 14400 -c 2 -b 16 -S -x track-03.cdr track-03.cdr.swp
$ sox mp3-duration: recoverable MAD error
$ sox mp3-duration: MAD lost sync
$ sox mp3-duration: recoverable MAD error
$ sox mp3-duration: recoverable MAD error

> This looks like that sox reads / generates MP3 files...?
> Are these definitely standard audio CD tracks (such as every
> old fashioned CD player can play)?

No, it seems like sox is trying to interpret raw audio data as an mp3
(and other) formats for some unknown reason.

It's silly but the only way I can think of to reliably do this (very
slowly) in a command line is:
perl -pi -e "s/(.)(.)/\\2\\1/g" track.cdr

Yuri