Unix program that sends email directly using MX record

Dan dan-freebsd-questions at ourbrains.org
Sat Nov 29 08:03:09 PST 2008

Jerry McAllister(jerrymc at msu.edu)@2008.11.24 14:38:19 -0500:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 12:36:50PM -0500, Dan wrote:
>
> > Kelly Jones(kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com)@2008.11.22 14:16:56 -0700:
> > > What Unix program sends email directly, using the MX record of the
> > > recipient, instead of using sendmail or an installed MTA?
> >
> > Sendmail/Sendwhale sucks for just about anything. There are much better
> > MTAs out there. For your needs, I think 'nullmailer' from Bruce Guenter
> >  would fit the bill and so would qmail in nullmailer mode. Postfix as well.
>
> Heavily prejudicial response.    I haven't had any trouble using
> Sendmail for just about anything.    But, whatever.

It's not prejudicial. I do not wish to start yet another MTA flamewar,
but you can't deny Sendmail's poor security, design, performance, and
complex configuration. The poor security history is there, the poor
funnel design and conf files that require a scripting language are
obviously ugly. Sendmail is often replaced due to performance concerns
alone. There are much better alternatives. qmail and Postfix.