Problem about ppp -nat

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sat Nov 29 03:46:51 PST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Pongthep Kulkrisada wrote:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > > I didn't touch /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, which has been working for 5 years
 > > since FBSD5.0R. Even if I go back to GENERIC kernel. I could not dial out
 > > to ISP in any ways. I didn't know what I do wrong even if
 > > I did read many docs.

 > I tried exactly what being described in the handbook. But all failed,
 > I still can't dial ISP. I think that posting /etc/ppp/ppp.conf may be
 > useful for your diagnostic. Note that this file has been used for
 > long time and never changed. But I've just reminded that ppp is
 > changed from version to version. My ppp.conf may not suit the current
 > version. I don't know.
 >
 > # cat /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
 >
 > default:
 >  set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command

Try using more logging, at least temporarily, then you should be able to
see from your ppp.log just what's going on.  For about 10 years I used:

  set log phase chat connect carrier link ipcp ccp ID0 TUN command

 >  ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
 >
 >  set device /dev/cuad0

Try /dev/cuaa0.  At least in the olden days, cuad0 was configured more
for dialin rather than dialout.  This may? explain the next two lines:

 >  set ctsrts off         # enables software flow control
 >  set accmap 000a0000    # comments out these 2 lines for hardware flow control

Not sure why you don't want to use hardware flow control?  Is this with
a regular external modem?  Anyway, I've always used ctsrts (with cuaa0).

 >  set speed 115200
 >  disable pred1
 >  deny pred1
 >  disable lqr
 >  deny lqr
 >  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
 >         \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 180 CONNECT"
 >  set redial 3 20
 >  enable dns             # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

Looks ok.  TIMEOUT 60 is plenty for a dialup modem, but whatever.

 > isp:
 >  set phone 0123456789
 >  set authname mylogin at myisp.com
 >  set authkey mypassword
 >  set timeout 0
 >  add! default HISADDR   # Add a (sticky) default route
 >  set openmode active
 >  accept pap
 >  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 >  add 0 0 HISADDR

You probably don't want both those add statements.  Try taking out the
first one, and replacing the last one with the add! default HISADDR.

Unsure if you need an 'enable pap' as well, maybe default.  Can't hurt.

Anyway, some extra logging should show you when and how it fails, if it
still does ..

cheers, Ian