Copying audio CD with dd/cdrecord produces unplayable CD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Nov 28 23:48:55 PST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 23:26:51 -0800, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> I am trying to copy an audio CD.
>
> First I've ran:
> dd if=/dev/acd0tN of=track-N.cdr bs=2352
> for every track. This gets raw track files.
>
> Secondly I run:
> cdrecord -v -dao -audio $* dev=2,0,0 speed=4
> This is supposed to recreate the original CD.
>
> But when I try to play it I can hear only noise.
>
> What I am doing wrong?
> How to troubleshoot this problem?

It sounds like "byte order reversal" which makes the typical noise.
In order to 1:1 copy a CD, I'd recommend the use of the cdrdao
tool - "cdrdao read-cd" and "cdrdao write" are the commands.
It's easy to use them in order to get a CD "at once" and then
reproduce it to blank media.

If you need to use cdrecord, you can "preprocess" the .cdr
files with "sox -x". You can always use the "play" command
(from sox) to check what your files sound like.

This is a sample command to turn .cdr files into .wav files,
just to illustrate the correct parameters for interpreting
the .cdr (CD audio data) format:

	sox -r 14400 -c 2 -b -L -S ${OUTFILE}.cdr ${OUTFILE}.wav

> burncd doesn't work on my system: it breaks with my PIONEER DVD-RW
> DVR-112D/1.21.

I didn't try burncd since FreeBSD 4. Since then, I#m very
comfortable with cdrecord and cdrdao and the atapicam facility.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0