KDM stopping

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Nov 28 01:02:42 PST 2008

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:37:24 +0100 (CET), Pieter Donche <Pieter.Donche at ua.ac.be> wrote:

> XDM: If I edit /etc/ttys to use  xdm   instead of kdm and reboot
> I get login/password prompt, then a very primitive TWM window manager,

These are the default settings (TWM with some xterms). You can edit
your ~/.xinitrc in order to launch the window manager or desktop
environment you like.

> When choose exit on the menu (with one gets by left-clicking the mouse)
> the frames arround the windows disappear and I don't get the menu
> back, the only thing I can do is to to console mode and shutdown -r now
> (and first edit /etc/ttys again for kdm)

The "session controller" for this setting isn't the window manager,
it is one of the xterms which you can close using the "exit" command
or pressing Ctrl+D when focused. What you did: You terminated the
window manager so the xterms are there on their own, without any
window manager (you see that you can still select focus, but there
are no window decorations).

> Is there a command to
> - restart the kdm window manager (after it died) from a root console prompt?

I think you can do this using the "kdm" command.

> - stop en start a running kwm window manager from a root console prompt?

At last, kill X with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, then run "kdm" again.

> Concerning my initial problem - I remember that I wanted to change the
> home-dir of both user1 and user2, therefore in console as root did a
> rmuser, then adduser for both.  Can this cause this dying of KDM manager?

I don't think so, because kdm works on a "higher level" where the
user settings are not important. But... the more I think about it...
it could be possible because KDM remembers users that have been logged
in and presents a list of users on the system. Maybe it fails to
retrieve the needed data, maybe the user database is corrupted or
entries refer to non-existing home directories or login shells?

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0