APIC error

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu Nov 27 06:10:22 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 14:32 +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Da Rock wrote:
>
> > I know the system is failing because I'm getting usb enumeration errors
> > (something that has come up twice before on dying systems, and has
> > disappeared as soon as I bought a new one), plus acpi errors in the form
> > of being unable to attach device data.
> >
> > I understand this software unable to cope with interrupts at the cpu,
> > and can mean hardware failure or bad software. But given my hardware
> > issues I'm fairly certain its the former. My biggest question is where?
> > How does it come up with something like that?
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on the details of this? I'll be greatful for
> > whatever I can get- information is power after all.
>
> This is too little information for general troubleshooting, except if
> someone has encountered this exact problem before.
>
> From your description, especially since you're suggesting a hardware
> failure, it could be anything from BIOS or BIOS "CMOS" error (or
> battery) to real hardware problems in the conductors to the buses.

Would this be in the cpu itself or in the mainboard (best guess)? If its
the cpu it could be from overheating (could the cpu alone cause all
these errors?), but mainboard would mean an inherent communication
problem wouldn't it?

This really is a hardware issue any way you look at it I know, but a
better understanding of what is going on might clarify what we're up
against here... cheers guys :)